News: Back to Start https://faithalone.info/
Check BLog https://faithalone.info/blog/

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Is God One in Three or Three in One?  (Read 4451 times)

hymnsinger

• Administrator
    • Unveiling the Bible
Is God One in Three or Three in One?
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »
 Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses, must believe in more than one "God" or Jesus is not "a god" as they teach. They reject the Triunity of God as unreasonable. I believe that John got it right by not including the definite article.
In Greek to exclude the definite article (the) implies the indefinite article (a, an). But to include "the" would mean that John was saying that Jesus was the only God. To exclude it does not automatically mean to include the indefinite article "a" god. That would mean that John was saying there are more than one God. Again, a misinterpretation as the Bible clearly states there is only One God:

Deuteronomy 6:4
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one!"

Isaiah 43:10, 11
"You are My witnesses," says the LORD, "And My servant whom I have chosen, That you may know and believe Me, And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, Nor shall there be after Me. I, even I, am the LORD, And besides Me there is no savior."  (See Titus 1:3,4)

Isaiah 44:8
"Do not fear, nor be afraid; Have I not told you from that time, and declared it? You are My witnesses. Is there a God besides Me? Indeed there is no other Rock; I know not one." (See Isa. 44:6, 45:5,6,11,21)

Hosea 13:4
"Yet I am the LORD your God Ever since the land of Egypt, And you shall know no God but Me; For there is no Savior besides Me".

Mark 12:32
"So the scribe said to Him, 'Well said, Teacher. You have spoken the truth, for there is one God, and there is no other but He.'"

James 2:19
You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe; and tremble!

This makes you wonder why the devil teaches man that there many gods. Satan comes as an angel of light. Sometimes he perverts the nature of God, sometimes he just perverts the Gospel. Sometimes he perverts both. Lying devils even believe some truth.

1 Corinthians 8:4
"... we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one."

Although God is only one, He is in three Persons, the same one God:
John 1:1-3
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.  (Compare Isa.45:18,21)

Although this verse is verbally parallel with Genesis 1:1, the contexts assign temporal differences. Whereas Genesis 1:1 speaks of the beginning of creation and John 1:1 emphasizes the incarnate manifestation of God in Christ, John in this verse establishes the preexistence of Christ in eternity past. He already "was" when the beginning took place. The Prologue to John's Gospel (vv. 1-18) represents one of the most crucial passages in the Bible and is, without doubt, the definitive exposition of the Person of Christ. Jesus is called the "Word". In Genesis, God SPOKE creation into existence.

Genesis 1:26
"Then God said, 'Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them...'"

The phrase "Let Us" describes God contemplating the special creation of mankind. The plurality as well as the unity of God is implied by the text. "Man" (^adam, Heb.) is shown by the plural, "let them."
"Image" and "likeness" are synonyms, the former perhaps stressing representation, and the latter, similarity. This says nothing about man's physical nature, but it points solely to the spiritual and moral nature of mankind, i.e., mind, emotion, and will.
The body is designed for giving expression to this spiritual and moral self. God created mankind so that it would be capable of fellowship with Him.

Isaiah 48:16
"Come near to Me, hear this: I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; From the time that it was, I was there. And now the Lord GOD and His Spirit Have sent Me."

Acts 20:28
"Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood."

1 Timothy 3:16
"And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory."

1 John 5:7
"For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness on earth: the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree as one."
Some Bibles don't include this passage assuming that it was added after the fact. The NKJV that I use has included it so I quote it as God's Word to demonstrate His triune uniqueness. These three are one in heaven and agree as one on earth.

Acts 5:3, 4
"But Peter said, 'Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

Some religions will say that he lied to the Spirit of God not God the Spirit.

Many mock the idea of the Trinity. They ask how Jesus could have prayed to the Father if Jesus was the God. Those that ask such things do not understand the doctrine of the Trinity. The Biblical doctrine states that God is three Persons yet He is one God.

Zechariah 12:10
"And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn."

Isaiah 9:6
"For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

John 14:8-11
"Philip said to Him, 'Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.' Jesus said to him, 'Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, "Show us the Father"? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.'"
(See also: John 5:18 and Philippians 2:5.6, Rev.1:17 and Isa.44:6)

Is The Trinity Unreasonable?

The Trinity is a Biblical doctrine. God is impossible to understand wholly. It is arrogant to assume that man can understand without apparent contradiction and paradox, the whole nature of God. (Isa.55:8,9, Rom.11:33,34)
  This does not mean God does not desire that we reason with Him. He means for us to reason as high as we can. However it is most reasonable to expect limitations upon our reason when dealing with God. Man in his pride does not like limitations. Nevertheless God has even revealed in nature many a "paradoxes", that man may see his smallness:

Do other religions teach a triune God? No! Some teach three or more gods, most represented with a mother, or goddess as they cannot fathom creation other then being birthed.

Romans 1:20
"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,"

This verse teaches that nature reveals the Godhead. Since God is a Trinity higher than reason, we could expect to find the same in nature. Nature is divided into a unity of three's: Time is past, present and future, matter is wave, particle and energy, dimension is height, width, and depth. Modern physics has revealed many paradoxes of nature.

Let us accept the mysteries of the triune Godhead humbly!

In His service
>< ))/*>
[<Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.>]

smiley4jc

Re: Is God One in Three or Three in One?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:19:13 AM »
This is simplistic but it works for me and my kids.  One of the Kindergarten curriculums I used in the past illustrated the Trinity like this:

You have one egg.  There are, however, three parts to that egg which CAN be spoken of seperately.  You have the shell, the white and the yolk.  The shell is used for one purpose.  The white can be used for another purpose.  The yolk can be used for another purpose.  You can mix and match different combinations for different purposes.  But...when you get up in the morning you don't ask your mom to crack an egg shell and fry you a white and yolk.  You ask for a fried egg.  You are implying a whole egg...shell (to be cracked), white and yolk (to be fried).  My children now understand that God is like an egg....He's One God but there is a Father, a Son and a Holy Ghost, all together.  They confess that it's still difficult to understand how God can actually be that way and I tell them that's ok....'cause us grownups have a hard time wrapping our mind around it, too.  This is a place where we accept by faith what God's Word says, we meditate on the subject as best we can and ask for God's help in understanding better and better.  I try to practice what I teach.

smiley ;D

hymnsinger

• Administrator
    • Unveiling the Bible
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »
It is a hard thing to see and explain and whatever works is OK I guess.

The most popular one I hear is water. It is H2O no matter what state it is in. (and I don';t mean, like, Texas)
In liquid, gas (vapor) or solid when tested it is H2O.
Whereas I hear that other elements actually take on a different molecular structure when they change state.
Oh, that will be over easy, hold the shell and throw in some Canadian bacon and hash browns.

In His service
>< ))/*>
[<Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.>]

smiley4jc

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 06:31:54 AM »
I like that one....H20.

And shut yo' mouth, boy!  I looooooove Canadian Bacon...actually any bacon.  lol

smiley  ;D

smiley4jc

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:54:04 AM »
ok...I started a post in the"Tongues" discussion...copied it...then came here to post it but re-read the whole discussion and now you've got me going somewhere else so I'm gonna scratch most of that previous post.   ::)

My thoughts are:
Before you start discussing whether or not there is a Trinity, I think you might do well to ask the question:  Just what do you think God is?  In the book I'm presently reading, "The Pursuit of God" by A.W. Tozer, Mr. Tozer brings up some excellent points.  Is God real, to you? ("you" meaning whoever is reading this post)  Mr. Tozer cites Canon Holmes of India from around the 1920's, who calls attention to the "inferential character of the average man's faith in God".  Mr. Tozer says:
To most people God is an inference, not a reality.  He is a deduction from evidence which they consider adequate; but He remains personally unknown to the individual.  'He must be,' they say, 'therefore we believe He is.'  Others do not go even so far as this; they know of Him only by hearsay.  They have never bothered  to think the matter out for themselves, but have heard about Him from others, and have put belief in Him into the back of their minds along with the various odds and ends that make up their total creed.  To many others God is but an ideal, another name for goodness, or for beauty, or truth; or He is law, or life, or the creative impulse back of the phenomena of existence.  These notions about God are many and varied, but they who hold them have one thing in common:  they do not know God in personal experience.

But, the Bible is clear that God can be known...as a Person, not just an influence or a nice idea.

Psa 34:8  O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

Psa 45:8  All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

Mat 5:8  Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Mr. Tozer puts forth that God gave us physical senses to experience the physical world.  Why can we not believe that God also equipped us with spiritual "senses" to experience the spiritual world?  While we are yet lost in our sins, our spiritual senses are dead.  Adam walked the garden with God...until sin came into the picture.  Then there was no more fellowship with The Creator.  There was no more exercising of those spiritual senses because they were dead (dormant).  This led me to the question I've had since a child:  Scripture says that an angel was put at the entrance to The Garden of Eden.  Have you heard of any archeologist, geologists or Google Earth finding any humongous angels with flaming swords?  You know...people have been looking for the Garden of Eden for...ever.  Is man trying to get back what was lost?  on his own terms?  You might think that an angel with a flaming sword barring your way might be the first thing that would lead you to believe you had made the discovery of a lifetime.  But, do we believe all that 'stuff' in The Bible is real?

Mr. Tozer goes into that subject, as well.  (this is where stuff got pretty heavy for me...I like to 'digest' what I read and this took awhile)

What do I mean by reality?  I mean that which has existence apart from any idea any mind may have of it, and which would exist if there were no mind anywhere to entertain a thought of it.  That which is real has being in itself.  It does not depend upon the observer for its validity.

Rev 2:4  Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
Rev 2:5  Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

A couple of years after I rededicated my life I was sitting up late one night studying my Bible when suddenly I had this overwhelming question come into my mind and heart.  I don't mean to sound too dramatic but this was a serious moment and I was struck by the simplicity of the question but I instinctively knew that this was a necessary moment for me.  The question?  "Do you really believe in God?"  Since starting this book of Mr. Tozer's I believe the Holy Spirit was really asking me then, "Just what do you believe God is?" Is God really real to you?"  My first response was, "Well...of course.  DUH!"  But I was checked in my spirit...."Do you....REALLY?"  I think this is something all Christian should ask themselves.  Return to "the first works"  How can we move to a subject such as this discussion is dealing with: "Is God One in Three or Three in One?" when you might not even know just who God is, or you might only believe that God is a good idea, or an influence or inferrence, etc?

Heb 11:6  But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.  (my emphasis)

He is.....what?  who?  where?  how?  when?  why?  God loves; He gets angry; He waits; He is patient; He is kind.  The way to find out is:  "he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

Luk 11:9  And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Jas 1:5  If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Once we begin to seek God, He will reward us by revealing himself to us.  As hymnsinger cited, we were created to fellowship with God.  This ain't a game of hide-n-seek!  God's not playing...He's waiting for us to KNOW him.  But, in order to deal with these 'higher' questions, we must first know WHO God is.  That's the beginning.

smiley ;D

hymnsinger

• Administrator
    • Unveiling the Bible
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:48:02 PM »
Excellent post! <(':')>

I am glad you decided that this also belonged in this thread besides the "Tongues" thread.

There are some good points on the Holy Spirit.

In His service
>< ))/*>