News: Back to Start https://faithalone.info/
Check BLog https://faithalone.info/blog/

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Does God Sing, Shout, Cry Out, or Triumph?  (Read 2514 times)

hymnsinger

• Administrator
    • Unveiling the Bible
Does God Sing, Shout, Cry Out, or Triumph?
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:21:11 AM »
"The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing." [Zeph 3:17]

I sometimes wonder how the translators choose to interpret certain original Hebrew, Aramaic, Babylonian or Greek words.

It would certainly be nice to think that our Creator rejoices over us in song, but the Hebrew word here is:
H7440. rinnah, pronounced rin-naw'; from H7442; properly a creaking (or shrill sound), i.e. shout (of joy or grief):
Other interpretations used in the English Bible --cry, gladness, joy, proclamation, rejoicing, shouting, sing (-ing), triumph.

In other passages rinnah it is translated differently, i.e. "and listen to the cry and the prayer" [1 Kings 8:28]; "as the sun was going down, a shout went throughout the army," [1 Kings 22:38]; "listen to the cry and the prayer which Your servant is praying before You:" [2 Chr 6:19]; "Now when they began to sing and to praise," [2 Chr 20:22]; "Attend to my cry; Give ear to my prayer" [Psalm 17:1]; "Weeping may endure for a night, But joy comes in the morning." [Psalm 30:5]; "I went with them to the house of God, With the voice of joy and praise," [Psalm 42:4]; "Shout to God with the voice of triumph!" [Psalm 47:1]; "HEAR my cry, O God; Attend to my prayer." [Psalm 61:1]

I think the above scriptures should get the point across that we have too many different meanings for one word in English. Etymologists like to say that the English language is dynamic and ever evolving. It would appear more to be devolving. Every year Websters comes out with a new list of words or meanings for existing words.

However it is translated the shrill sound more describes my singing than what I would like to think our heavenly Father sounds like. To have Him crying out, shouting a joyful noise, a song to His children for triumph over evil by the Blood of His only begotten Son, Jesus is most comforting.

"So I will sing praise to Your name forever, That I may daily perform my vows." [Psalm 61:8]

In His service
 >< ))/*>
[<Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.>]